I don’t know about you, but I LOVE the fall! Yes, that time of year is right around the corner (of the corn maze).
Our favorite fall activity is visiting the pumpkin patch and picking a perfectly round, orange pumpkin off the vine! The farm we visit has kids activities and a train!
Since we are buying our pumpkins at the farm, they are usually cheaper than the super market so we save a little and have some family fun. Nonetheless, what better way to save money more than to use something you were already going to buy – your great pumpkin!
So after carving that beauty of a plant you picked out, why not eat the seeds! You may be tempted to toss them, but they are super easy to cook and make into a yummy, healthy snack.
After you carve out your pumpkin, rinse those babies off and stick them in the oven!! You now have a healthy snack (seeds are loaded with magnesium, potassium and zinc). Depending on how many pumpkins you carve, you’ll have a yummy, nutritious snack for days. Enjoy my simple recipe!
Easy Pumpkin Seed Recipe
1. Rinse your seeds well
2. Grease your tray with olive oil (or cooking spray) & lay seeds in a single layer
3. Season (use salt or cinnamon & sugar for a sweet tooth)
4. Cook at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes
5. Cool & enjoy!!! (As my two-year old would say, Nummy Tummy!)
See, wasn’t that easy? You can take snacks off your grocery list for a few days and enjoy these goodies! I hope you enjoy the recipe and have a great snack with your family! Happy Halloween!
What are your kids dressing up as this year? Did you pay full price for those cute costumes? Hope not, but if you did, there is time to save for next year!! Here are five ideas to help you!
1. If possible, the number one way to save is to buy one year early! This works best for younger kids that can be swayed or if you already know what they are into! My son is wearing a Captain America Costume that my mom bought on clearance last year for $5 (marked down from $22). Just buy a size or two up and you are set! No stress next year!
2. Check mom to mom sights or sales. I just started using these on Facebook and I’m addicted! I see costumes all the time and some people are just giving them away to get rid of them!-Way to spread the love!
3. Sign up for a store email list. Many major stores offer free shipping and discounts around the holidays. I am on the Party City email list and they have had free shipping all week!
4. A fairly new way to shop online is Jet.com. I bought my husband’s and my Halloween costumes on this sight last year. The sight actually shops around, will find you a great deal and offer a discount if you wave your right to return your item.
5. Another great idea is to costume swap with friends, family, neighbors or mom’s groups. Many moms are just trying to get rid of old, no longer used costumes.
As always, I hope this post was helpful!! Don’t forget to stock up on Halloween candy next week when it all goes on clearance! YUM!
Saving money isn’t always easy. Many of us scrimp and save, just to get by. Nonetheless, there are many easy tips and tricks to help keep your budget on track and saving money means keeping more in your pocket.
The list below features many ways I use to save money. With a family of four, it is easy to go over budget, especially on groceries for the kids. However, I have found that if I continue to practice the tips below, I have a few extra bucks in my pocket at the end of the month and I hope you will too.
Ways to Save Money Everyday
1. Find free family stuff to do – There are so many fun activities in cities or local areas that are free. Local parks, libraries, bike rides, and family walks are just a few. Many times the library offers classes and celebrations that are free, but you must sign up in advance. (Check before a Holiday)
2. Couponing– Couponing does requires a bit of work but can be fun and an excellent way to save money. One great way to coupon is to use online couponing sites. Coupons.com and betty crocker.com are just a few of my favorites. You can also follow blogs that match up coupons to sales at your favorite stores. Krazy Coupon Lady is one of my favorites!
3. Wait a week before buying – It is hard not to be an impulse buyer and snatch up the latest trend. The next time you see something you are really eyeing, wait a week and see if you still have the desire for that new purse or pumps. If so, set aside an envelope to save up for your favorites.