Did your mom make special birthday recipes for you as a child? One of my favorite requests was jumbo stuffed shells. Little did I know, this recipe is easy to make, but a thoughtful way to express love through cooking.
Jumbo stuffed shells are also hearty and filling. What a delicious comfort food to keep warm on those chilly winter nights.
If you are interested in making these yummy jumbo shells, keep reading to find the simple recipe below.
Jumbo Stuffed Shells
Jumbo Stuffed Shells Ingredients:
Makes 8 servings – Serving size 5 shells
- 12 oz package of jumbo shells
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 oz mushrooms
- 16 oz cottage cheese
- 16 oz mozzarella cheese
- 48 oz pasta sauce
- 1 tbsp Italian seasonings
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to your taste
Jumbo Stuffed Shells Directions:
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add ground beef to a medium skillet for browning, sprinkle with some Italian seasoning and garlic, then add salt and pepper. Make sure to drain the grease.
3. While the meat is cooking, fill a large pot halfway with water and add the pasta shells. Boil on high until pasta is al dente. You can also check the pasta directions on the box for the best results.
4. While the meat and pasta are cooking, chop the mushrooms. (These are really optional depending on if you like mushrooms or not.) I’ve made stuffed shells without mushrooms and it still tastes amazing!
5. Add cottage cheese, 12 oz of mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, the rest of the Italian seasoning and garlic, and a dash of salt and pepper to a large bowl. Once the ground beef is done, add that, along with 16 oz of the pasta sauce. Stir well.
6. Once the shells are cooked, drain, and rinse with cold water until they are not steaming hot, as you will be handling these with your hands.
7. Cover the bottom of a large casserole dish with a thin layer of pasta sauce.
8. Using a small spoon, fill the pasta shells, and set them gently into the baking dish, side by side.
Pro tip: Start with small scoops of filling and push the filling gently to the bottom of the shell and continue adding more. This will help to prevent breaking the shells.
9. Pour pasta sauce over the shells, as well as the remainder of the mozzarella cheese.
10. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the cheese, is melted and bubbly.
11. Serve hot, and sprinkle servings with parmesan cheese if desired.
Jumbo Stuffed Shells Final Thoughts…
This recipe will leave your family craving jumbo stuffed shells. Give this recipe a try and tell me what you think in the comments!