Simple Gift Ideas for the Minimalist
Believe it or not, there are people out there that do not want a bunch of stuff like knickknacks or the latest and greatest tech items for Christmas. So shopping can become tricky because gift ideas for a simple person are not always easy to find. However, if you have a minimalist friend and still want to buy them a Christmas gift there are some great gift ideas out there that won’t break the bank. Your minimalist friend will really appreciate your gift because you took their lifestyle into consideration which makes you their most thoughtful friend or family member.
Holidays are difficult for some minimalist people because that they end up with a bunch of presents they didn’t want and do not know what to do with. If you have a simple person or minimalist person in your life, you may not agree with their lifestyle choices. However, it is best you respect them when purchasing a gift. If your friend or family member is trying to live a simple life with less clutter, then they definitely do not want a bunch of Christmas decorations or trinkets they will end up getting rid of later.
In fact, research shows clutter affects your mental health and can leave you feeling frustrated and anxious. This may be why your friend is choosing a simple lifestyle. Yet, you still want your simple friend to know you care and are thinking about them during the Holiday Season.
Yet, if you find your simple friend something useful, they will know what a thoughtful, caring friend or family member you are because you took their feelings into consideration when selecting the perfect gift for their simple lifestyle. With that in mind, check out my gift guide for the simple person below. These ideas are sure to knock their socks off this year!
If you like this post, you will love…
- 9 Super Secrets for Staying Debt-free this Christmas
- 40 Gift Ideas for Men – He Will Actually Like – For Any Budget
- Gift Guide for the Lady in Your Life
- 20 Ridiculously Useful Teacher Gifts for any Budget
- 25 Best Preschool Learning Toys
- 15 Gift Ideas for the Kid That Has Too Many Toys
- 14 Free Family Christmas Activities
- 9 Super Secrets to Staying Debt Free This Christmas
20 budget-friendly, Simple gift ideas for the Minimalist person in your life:
1. Candle – Useful gifts are a must in the minimalist’s lifestyle. Does your simple friend like candles? Here is a way to make the house smell great and a gift he/she can actually use.
2. Soap – Find out their favorite scent and help them stock up on soaps. Better yet, buy a variety pack and they can try them all.
3. Wine – Wine makes a great gift for a simple person or for anyone really! Who doesn’ like wine?
4. Gourmet coffee – Is your simple friend a coffee drinker? Then he or she will appreciate this gesture. Try a specialty coffee they wouldn’t normally buy for themselves.
5. Meditation pillow – Meditation is a great way to relax during the Holiday season and your simple friend will love the gift of a new meditation pillow.
6. Nice olive oil – Does your simple friend like to cook? Then they will love this organic virgin olive oil. Again, this is something he or she will use and it won’t go to waste.
7. Olive Oil Pour Spout – If you are giving an olive oil, why not give a pour spout to go with it?
More Practical Gift Ideas for Your Minimalist Friend:
8. Journal – A journal is a great gift for a simple person. They will have a place to jot down notes and thoughts.
9. Water Filter – This Britta Water Filter would make a great gift. It may be a simple gift idea your minimalist friend may not buy for themselves but will be very useful, especially if you live in an area with yucky tasting tap water.
10. Gift Cards – If your friend tells you they do not want anything, cash or gift cards may be the way to go. I always like to buy gift cards to Amazon or Target so they can use them on groceries if they want. My sister also got me a gift card to whole foods and Trader Joe’s which we used up right away. Another great gift card option is for restaurants and/or hotels.
Gift card ideas for the simple person:
- Whole Foods
- Trader Joe’s
11. Zoo Membership – If you have an animal-loving friend that likes experiences and not stuff, then buy him or her a pass to a local zoo or aquarium.
12. Travel – Does your simple friend enjoy traveling? Why not buy them an airline or hotel gift card. Even if you cannot afford the entire nights stay at a hotel or the cost of an entire flight, a gift card will help you friend pay for his or her expenses.
Pro Tip: Check Booking Buddy for the best deals of travel including flights and hotels.
13. Online Classes – Do you want to give a clutter-free gift this year? Why not gift an online class. You can buy online classes for as little as $10 if you are budget gift shopping. Search sites such as teachable, Thinkific, and/or Amazon to find classes. Talk with your minimalist family member or friend and tell them about something you have always wanted to learn. Then ask them if they have anything they are interested in learning such as a foreign language, blogging, or air B&B. You now have the perfect gift!
14. Ebook – Yet another clutter-free gift. If your simple friend loves to read, send them an eBook. Find eBooks on Amazon or Kindle or gift them a subscription to Audible so they can get books all year. This is a no mess, no fuss gift that your minimalist friend will really appreciate.
15. Yoga Membership – What better way to say you care than giving the gift of health. Yoga classes are perfect for the simple person that plans to work on their mind and body in the New Year.
16. Museum Pass – A museum pass is clutter free and full of fun. We have a museum pass and we love taking our kids to all of the exhibits throughout the year.
17. Movie Tickets – Is your minimalist friend a moviegoer? Movie gift cards won’t clutter up his or her counter and maybe they will ask you to join them!!
18. Concert Tickets – Is your friend’s favorite musician coming to town? Gift them concert tickets for a fun night of entertainment.
19. Donation – Does your minimalist family member have a charity that is near and dear to them? Why not make a donation in his or her name?
20. Cash – Cash is King! If all else fails, give the gift of cash. Then your simple family member or friend can choose what they want this year. My Mom/Dad and Grandma always give me cash and it works for me! Think of a fun creative way you can wrap up your cash.
Minimalist Gift Ideas Conclusion:
Remember less is more when buying gifts for the simple person. If you have a friend or family member that lives a simple, minimalist lifestyle you should take this into consideration when buying them a Christmas gift. Not all people want the items on the front of the Target flyer. Find a gift idea that is useful and simple.
Many minimalists enjoy experiences over “stuff.” Keep this in mind when buying for your simple friend.
Wishing all of you a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday Season!
Do you have a simple friend or a friend that considers themselves a minimalist? What are you buying them for Christmas? Leave me a comment. I would love to hear from you.