Are you ready for summer? Typically Memorial weekend kicks off summer here in the states, and what better way to celebrate than making red, white, and blue ice cream for Memorial day or The Fourth of July.
If you have kids, this will be a summer treat they will savor and ask to participate in making this yummy, colorful ice cream.
My son made ice cream in school a few weeks ago and was trying to make some at home himself by memory. This is when I decided it was best he follow a recipe because he did not care for the taste of his “by-memory” made ice cream. (Although, super cute of him!)
Our Memorial Day and the Fourth of July tradition is to attend our city’s parade. It is nice seeing all of the floats and listening to music while cheering on our vets and city leaders. And our 4th of July parade gives candy. Lots. of. candy! -My kids also love the police cars and fire trucks.
To keep the fun going, make this recipe in advance and have it in the freezer ready. Last year, at our Fourth of July parade it was literally 90 degrees and humid here in Michigan. We were all suffocating in the heat.
This treat was a wonderful way to cool down! (On a side note, I wish we had a pool… Why don’t we have a pool? lol)
We often cookout with friends on these popular summer weekends and we love finding free or frugal things to do during the summer.
Having an outdoor BBQ or making your own snack is a frugal way to keep the kids occupied and also beat the heat so you can all enjoy your time.
This recipe is easy and delicious and your kids will remember making ice cream with mom or dad for years to come.
So give this recipe a try this Memorial Weekend or Fourth of July and help celebrate our country’s birthday.
Cooldown and enjoy the parades and fireworks this year. (I hope we have them… They have been canceled for the last two years.)
Here is your recipe:
Memorial Day or 4TH JULY Red, White, and Blue Easy ICE CREAM
Ingredients needed for Red, White, and Blue Ice Cream:
- Heavy cream 1 cup ( Note: It is best to use very cold cream to make whipping easier)
- Sweeten Condensed milk 3 tbsp (This helps make the ice cream shape easier and adds some sweetness. If you are looking for a dairy-free option, try coconut cream.)
- Blue food coloring 0.5 tsp
- Red food coloring 0.5 tsp
- Vanilla 1 tsp (Vanilla is a must for flavoring so don’t skip it!)
Instruction for Red, White, and Blue No-Churn Ice Cream:
1. Prepare all ingredients. I always find it easier to have everything out, instead of grabbing things while I am trying to prepare my recipe.
2. Whip cream with vanilla until stiff peaks. Use your regular mixer or hand mixer for this part of your recipe.
3. Add condensed milk and whisk again.
4. Divide the mass into 3 parts. Add blue dye to one, red to the other, and leave white.
5. Pour into ice cream molds in layers. It is important to add your colors in the order you wish and let the first one freeze for around 30-40 minutes before adding the next layer and so on.
5. When all colors are added, then freeze for at least 5 hours.
6. Serve this delicious yummy treat! Perfect for a hot day!
If you are looking to save money on groceries this summer try my favorite cash back apps:
Tools needed to make Red, White and Blue Summer Ice Cream:
Regular Blender or a hand mixer to whip your cream.
A whisk is a great cooking tool to have around, especially in ice cream making!
A silicone Spatula works best for mixing and dividing.
These Molds, work great and can be used for popsicles too!
Mixing Bowls and Small dividing bowls will help you when it is time to add the food coloring.
Enjoy your summer treat!
Other ideas; Layer between cookies for an ice cream sandwich and roll sides in red, white and blue sprinkles!
Fourth of July or Memorial Day Red, White, and Blue Ice Cream Treat Recipe Final Thoughts…
I hope you are able to enjoy your time with your family this summer. My husband is working on both holidays (hospital schedule) so we will miss him and save him some of this yummy ice cream. Enjoy!
- Summer Meal Plan
- 10 Clever Staycation Ideas for Summer
- Cucumber, Chicken Salad perfect for summer
- Easy Baked Ziti Recipe
- 50 Cheap Meals to Feed Your Family
- 35 Keto Meals on a Budget
- 55 Cheap and Frugal Meals for When Money is Tight
- Organic Food on a Budget
- 50 Make-Ahead Tailgate Dishes
I hope you enjoy your time with family and continue making memories with the kids. What are some of your favorite summer holiday traditions or recipes? Leave a comment. We would love to hear from you.