Anyone looking to workout in the New Year but an expensive gym membership isn’t in your New Year, New Budget plan? Of course, most of us have the best intentions to get into shape and stay healthy in the New Year. For this reason, good results can come from hiring a personal trainer and hitting the gym 3-4 times a week, right?
No doubt, it is discouraging that a good workout has to cost so much. All things considered, paying $50 for a gym membership and an extra $20 for classes or a trainer is too much for the average person.
You may be thinking… I have to pay in order to stay healthy and do something I don’t necessarily look forward to doing? I’d rather just hang out and watch a movie! (Yep – That’s me!)
Staying Healthy on a Dime
Moreover, since I think health is a top priority, I had to figure out a solution. Can you work out and stay on track with your budget? Of course! Where there is a will, there is a way!
First and foremost, let’s get real about your workout plan! There are so many ways to burn off those extra calories that are extremely cost-effective. In fact, most are free. From here on, you may use my compiled list of family-friendly workouts to help you stay fit and keep on track with your budget plan. In fact, with the list below you can take the gym membership out of your budget this year!
20 Free and Frugal Workout Ideas
1. Jog outside (weather permitting) – Get outside and hit the pavement! If you have a smart phone, use the app Map My Ride to keep track of how far you jog and save your workout progress!
2. Swim inside – Many middle schools & high schools have pools with free public swim times.
3. Library videos – Go to your local library and check out work out videos for free! When you get home, actually do the workout videos! (I have a habit of letting them sit on the mantle.)
4. Buy a few free weights – Instead of spending money on a gym, buy your own weights. I bought my 10 lbs weights at Dunham’s for around $7 each.
5. Exercise bands – These are cheap and easy to store. Marshalls sells them for around $8-$10.
Need More Free Workout Ideas? Read on…
6. Youtube videos – Youtube offers many free workouts on Yoga, weights, and Zumba, just to name a few.
7. Use your kids as weights – Your kids will have a blast being lifted up into the air and your arms will look nice too!
8. Race your kids at the park – Weather permitting, get outside and race your kids at the park! My son loves to run and he helps me burn calories and train. He also wins every time!
9. Buy a cheap jogging stroller – Can’t find childcare while you workout? Take the kids. Check Craigslist and Mom to Mom Facebook groups for discounted jogging strollers.
10. Groupon – Groupon offers great deals on workout classes (Yoga…finding my inner calm) or gym deals. The snowy season is upon us my friends, so I bought a Groupon for a local Gym for 90 days. I stacked deals by using a 20% off code and went through Ebates. I got a 3-month membership for $38 – That’s $12.60 per a month… I even went to the gym once, so it is a start!
Even More Frugal Workout Ideas…
11. Pull your kids on a sled or wagon– This is a totally awesome and fun way to burn calories! We just had a small blizzard and my kids loved being pulled around on the sled! Let me tell you, pulling two kids on a sled IS a good workout.
12. Pinterest – Look for Pins with complete workouts. There are many workouts requiring no equipment. (Jumping Jacks, run in place, crunches etc.)
13. Have a Dance Party – My kids love dance parties. (What, what!) Turn off the lights, give everyone a flashlight and crank up the music! Shake it off!!
14. Yoga at home – Yoga is a great way to burn calories, strengthen muscles and find your inner calm. Not to mention, it is also easy to do yoga in your home! Furthermore, you can use a towel in place of a yoga mat to save money. Find your favorite poses and complete a workout while the babes are napping!
13. Climb your stairs – Have stairs in your house? Then use them in your workout!
14. Clean your house – Want a good workout but you can’t stand looking around your messy house? (This is so me!). Get out the vacuum and dusters. By the time you finish, you will have burned calories and have a clean house! What could be better???
15. Seasonal Gym Membership – If many of these ideas aren’t for you and you need a membership, find a gym with a monthly plan and only pay for December, January, and February (the cold months where I live). One gym, Fitness 19 offers monthly options without a contract. Hopefully, O.K.-I’m really hoping, March will be warm enough to run outside again.
16. Track Yourself for Free – I use my phone to track my workout progress. I use the free version of the Map My Ride App. It calculates how far I run and how many calories I burn. You can also post your workouts with friends if you want to have a healthy competition or hold each other accountable.
17. Speed Walk at the Mall – Is it cold in your area? Make use of the mall opening early. Most malls allow walkers to come in and speed walk around 8 AM so check your local mall.
18. Make Use of a Local Track – Most local schools have a track that is free for the public to use. We have one at our middle school and high school and a few elementary schools have smaller tracks too. There are also a few local parks with walking and jogging paths.
19. Fitness Bands – Invest in some fitness bands to help you stay in shape. They are surprisingly not that much and can really help strengthen and tone your muscles.
20. Workout Friends – Find a friend or local running club to keep you on track. I used to run with a friend of mine and it helped me when I didn’t feel like going. Since I knew I had to meet her, I always showed up. Plus, we had fun chatting during our run.
Free and Frugal Workout Ideas Conclusion:
Trying to stay healthy is not always easy when you are on a budget. Use my free and frugal workout ideas to help you stay healthy, stay in shape, and live a healthier lifestyle on a budget.
I’m wishing you all a Happy New Year, my friends! I hope my ideas help you get in shape while sticking to your budget! Cheers to you for staying healthy!
Leave me a comment if you have any questions or want to share your frugal workout ideas! Take care and be on the lookout for many more frugal living ideas in 2017!
Happy New Year, my friends!!
Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and/or Twitter!!
This site contains affiliate links. If you click a link and make a purchase, you I will make a small commission at no cost to you, so thank you!
- 10 Ways to Save Money Every day
- Budgets 2017- New Year, New Budget
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a personal trainer. Please use these workouts at your own discretion. These are ideas to help you workout and save money. Please consult your doctor before starting any workout plan. Stay safe!!